Urgent Care for Cats
Cats are known for their independent natures and for coexisting with their humans on their own terms. For these reasons, it can be hard to tell when your cat is sick or needs urgent medical attention. At Denver Cat Hospital in Denver, CO, we can help. Our team of experts can tell you what signs to look for that indicate a sick pet. We provide urgent care so we can treat your pet at any time and ensure that it gets healthy.
Common Cat Illnesses
All cats can act oddly sometimes, but if your cat's behavior directly contradicts its personality, then it may be a sign that it needs to see our cat veterinarian.
The first line of defense against cat illness is to ensure that your pet is vaccinated for conditions such as rabies and feline distemper. However, cats can still get other illnesses. Some common conditions to watch for include:
- Ringworm: A common skin condition caused by a fungus that may result in a ring-shaped rash on the skin.
- Diabetes: If a cat does not produce or use insulin normally, it has diabetes. This can lead to various health problems.
- Upper respiratory infections: Viruses and bacteria can infect your cat and make it cough or become congested.
- Heartworm disease: Heartworm disease can cause lung problems in your cat.
Is My Cat Sick?
One of the best ways to tell if your cat is sick is to know your cat's typical behavior and note any changes. Things like moving around less, showing less interest in grooming, increased vomiting or hairballs, changes in bowel movements, loss of appetite, or just acting differently can indicate an illness. It is important to monitor your pet so you can detect these signs early. Left untreated, certain illnesses can worsen and lead to other health complications.
When Your Cat May Need Urgent Care
If your cat is injured, it may try to keep the injury to itself in order to avoid seeming vulnerable. If your cat is suddenly more reserved or is hiding more, it may be a sign that it is injured. If your cat has recently been acting a bit differently, schedule an appointment with our cat veterinarian. However, some signs and symptoms require immediate care for your cat. Emergency situations that require urgent care include:
- Getting into fights with other cats or animals
- Extreme lethargy or collapse
- Trauma, such as falls or altercations with large objects or animals
- Not eating despite food being available
- Excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- Known ingestion of toxic substances
- Excessive bleeding
When you bring your cat to our facility, we will diagnose it and provide the proper treatment. We will also guide you on how to prevent future health problems.
Visit Our Cat Veterinarian in Denver, CO for Urgent Care
Having a sick cat can be scary and stressful. That is why we are here to help. At Denver Cat Hospital in Denver, CO, our team will treat your pet and care for any health issues it has. Our goal is to keep your cats healthy and happy. In addition to urgent care, we also provide preventative care, surgery, vaccinations, dentistry, and more. Call us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more.